About This Painting:
The marsh in winter is a restful place, many critters are hibernating, but a warm sunny winter day will bring out the birds and a few other furry friends.
Artist: Jan Blencowe
Size: 8 in X 6 in (20.3 cm X 15.2 cm)
Price: $100 USD unframed + $6 s/h in the USA
Pay safely and easily with a credit card through Paypal.
How to Purchase:
send me an email I'd love to hear from YOU!
This is another small plein air oil back from the gallery on Cape Cod. Today I struggled all day finishing the painting from the demo. Why a struggle you ask? Well, the painting was done yesterday and late last night I went to the studio to put an isolation coat of binder medium on the painting, and it was a disaster. The paint began to peel up and crack...what the!!!???#$*%### After I came to my senses and spent some time thinking about why that might have happened I realized that I was running low on fast medium and was using slow medium to make glazes, and there were a lot of layers of glazes. Eventhough I gave the painting about 5 hours to dry and it felt perfectly dry to the touch it hadn't cured enough to accept the binder medium which speeds up drying, in this case it sped it up too much, too quickly. Never one to be beaten by my own mistake ( and by mistake I mean stupidity lol) I spent all day today working on the painting. It was very challenging, but since I've been trying different techinques with the Interactives scraping back and adding impasto gel to create unique surface texture, and since the painting was already never going to be what it was I went to work with abandon. Did I mention this was a lot of work and anxiety? It was. It's been a long time since I've really had to work in uncharted territory not knowing if a painting would finally work out. This was probably very good for me as I learned a great deal about what these paints can do, beyond just the conventional way to apply them. There are now many, many more layers of paint, there was a lot of rubbing off and scraping back and re-painting, a good deal of spraying with unlocking formula to reactivate areas and it all created an very interesting surface, something I am pleased about. I am going to let this dry for one week, and then see if it needs any additional glazes before the isolation coat. I'm going to try and get a good photo of it tomorrow along with some detail shots showing the surface textures I was able to create or which were the result of a "happy accident" aka a mistake LOL.